10-Month-Old Baby In Coma After Making Tragic Mistake While Mom’s Back Was Turned

Note: we are republishing this story which originally made the news in August 2020.

A 10-month-old baby, Pearce Shepherd, is fighting for his life after inadvertently ingesting the contents of a laundry detergent capsule at his family home in Lennoxtown, East Dunbartonshire. The incident occurred while his mother, Melissa Cairney, was occupied with household chores, and Pearce, seizing a moment of inattention, consumed the toxic contents, resulting in severe burns to his stomach and swelling of his lungs.

The alarming event unfolded on a Friday, prompting an urgent rush to the Royal Hospital for Children in Glasgow, where Pearce is currently in an induced coma. Medics, while expressing optimism about Pearce’s survival, remain uncertain about the duration of his recovery. Melissa and her partner, David Shepherd, received the distressing news as they navigated the ordeal of Pearce’s emergency medical care.

The family, comprising four other children—Tyler, 10, Darcie, 7, Brodie, 3, and Hudson, 2—experienced the traumatic incident while Melissa was engaged in preparing dinner and doing laundry. Pearce, left momentarily unattended, seized the opportunity to grab one of the detergent capsules that had fallen from the worktop.

Reacting swiftly, Melissa sought advice from her mother and decided to drive Pearce to the hospital, given the potential delay in ambulance arrival. However, during the 15-minute car ride, Pearce’s condition rapidly deteriorated. Melissa vividly recounts the distressing moment when Pearce started vomiting and displaying signs of severe distress. Panic set in as he appeared lethargic and unresponsive.

Upon reaching the Royal Hospital for Children in Glasgow, Pearce was immediately taken into surgery. An endoscopy revealed the extent of the damage, with burns in his stomach caused by the toxic chemicals. The severity of the exposure led to respiratory complications, necessitating the induced coma.
While the medical team offers hope for Pearce’s survival, the uncertainty regarding the duration of recovery and potential long-term effects weighs heavily on his parents. Currently in the intensive care unit, Pearce’s lungs continue to be impacted, and his immune system is grappling with infections.

Melissa, permitted to stay with her son in the intensive care room, shares the anguish of not knowing the full extent of Pearce’s recovery. The family’s distress is compounded by the necessity for David to remain at home with their other four children.


In light of this heart-wrenching experience, Melissa issues a sincere warning to other parents, emphasizing the potential danger posed by seemingly innocuous household cleaning products. She expresses disbelief at the severity of the consequences, underscoring the need for heightened awareness and caution. The family’s fervent hope is that by sharing their story, they can prevent similar incidents and ensure other families remain vigilant about the risks associated with such products.

Sources: Mirror


Posted

in

by

Tags:

Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *